Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation is pleased to welcome colleagues to Ottawa, Canada’s capital city, for the 46th CIMUSET Annual Conference.
CIMUSET, the International Committee for Museums and Collections of Science and Technology, is an International Council of Museums (ICOM) committee composed of museum professionals from the fields of science and technology.
The conference will be held in joint with the International Association of Transport and Communications Museums (IATM), an international forum for museum professionals working in transport and communications museums.
The conference will take place October 15 to October 18 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum and the Canada Science and Technology Museum, with inspirational visits to the Canada Agricultural and Food Museum, top destinations around Ottawa, and nearby Montreal.
The 2018 CIMUSET Conference theme is Museums in the Digital World
In a world of Alibaba, Netflix, Facebook and WhatsApp were do museums fit in? Consumers want immediate, unfettered access to content; they want to participate; and they want to be engaged. The rise of mobile, the cloud and the internet of things has made digitization the core driver of digital disruption and it effects every industry, including museums. Those that are embracing the movement are moving forward. Those who ignore it are suffering the consequences. How are museums embracing the digital disruption movement?
The digital world will never be able to replace the artifact, the real thing. The challenge for museums is how do we engage on digital platforms, and have the users engage with their scientific and technological past, present and ultimately, their future.
Session themes could include:
Engaging Digital Natives
App development in the Museum setting
Digitizing collections/making collections digitally accessible
The Digital Museum
Successes and Failures on digital projects/products (lessons learned)
The future of digital marketing
CALL FOR PAPERS
Please be sure to read all information below in preparing your submission for the special CIMUSET 46th CONFERENCE 2018, a joint conference with the International Association of Transport and Communications Museums (IATM) to be held in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
• Abstracts must not exceed 250 words.
• Submissions must be received by midnight (12:00AM, EST) June 29th, 2018. Late entries will not be considered.
• All submissions will be vetted by the Review Committee.
• Your submission (and any subsequent acceptance) of an abstract is a commitment by you to present your paper in person at the conference.
• Submitters will be notified, via email, by the Review Committee regarding the acceptance or rejection of their abstract by July 23, 2018.
• No individual may present more than one paper.
• Co-authors and co-presenters must be defined when submitting your abstract.
• We prefer submissions to be in English.
The meeting will be held in English with some limited translations from and to French when necessary.
Please submit your Registration Form and your Call for Paper Application Form with abstract by midnight (12:00AM, EST) June 29th, 2018.