The 9th International Conference of the European Society for the History of Science (ESHS), hosted by the Centre for the History of Universities and Science at the University of Bologna (CIS) and by the Italian Society for the History of Science (SISS), will take place in Bologna, from the 31st of August to the 3rd of September 2020.
The theme of the 2020 meeting is “Visual, Material and Sensory Cultures of Science”, a very broad and inclusive topic. Sessions and talks might address the history of the sensory approaches to scientific objects, their material culture, as well as the building of scientific practices based on the use of the senses (vision, hearing, touch and smell), with particular attention to the history of the relationship between the visual arts and the sciences across nations, periods, and historiographies; visual epistemologies and the cultural practice of thinking scientifically with images; and the relationship between different media (print, photography, digital imaging, etc.) and scientific disciplines in various social, political, and economic contexts. Given the developments of the discipline in the past twenty years, we see this theme as particularly topical and capable of generating broad historical questions at the same time. This theme will provide ample opportunity to take stock and reflect on “sensory cultures” and on the “visual turn”, to assess their strengths and weaknesses, but also to explore their relationship with competing or overlapping historiographical trends such as the material and global history of science, medicine and technology.
- Submission of symposium proposals opens: 15 October 2019
Submission of symposium proposals closes 23.59GMT: 15 December 2019 extended to 20 January 2020!
- Submission of individual paper proposals opens: 16 December 2019
- Acceptance/rejection of symposium proposals announced: 31 January 2020
- Conference fees published on website: 31 January 2020
- Submission of individual paper proposals closes at 23.59GMT: 29 February 2020
- Acceptance/rejection of individual paper proposals announced: 27 April 2020
- Submission of applications for Early Career Grants opens: 28 April 2020
- Opening of registration/draft schedule published: 30 April 2020
- Submissions of applications for Early Career Grants closes: 10 May 2020
- Awarding of Early Career Grants announced: 1 June 2020
- Early bird registration closes/draft programme published: 15 June 2020
- Final deadline for registration: 16 July 2020
- Publication of final programme: 27 July 2020