Aalto University, The Department of Art, School of Art, Design and Architecture is looking for a
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER in the field of Art and Culture History
for a 2-year-period, from 1. September 2015, or negotiable.
Main tasks and requirements
The Department of Art in Aalto University is looking for a postdoctoral researcher whose research interests focus on the history of material culture, design, decorative arts, fashion and textiles. The purpose of the postdoctoral researcher is to support and strengthen research in Art and Culture History and related fields at the Department of Art. The duties of the postdoctoral researcher include
– Preparing research, and developing, implementing, and leading projects under the leadership of the Professor of History of Art and Culture
– Participating in teaching and MA supervision in the areas of art and culture history, visual culture, material culture and design history
– Participating in the development and administration work of the department
The postdoctoral researcher will work with the Professor of History of Art and Culture to develop cross-disciplinary research in the field of early modern history. Specific research themes may focus on areas such as dress, fashion, textiles, interiors, design, consumption, production, or global trade. It is expected that the postdoctoral researcher will create new transdisciplinary and transnational projects and events, working in collaboration with both universities and museums. The postdoctoral researcher will also be expected to pursue their own line of research and publications in related areas.
A successful candidate should have
– Excellent skills in English language
– Earned Doctorate in art or culture history, or related fields (by the start of the postdoc position)
– Experience of interdisciplinary research in early modern history
– Research and leadership skills
To apply for the position, please submit your application containing
1) Cover letter
2) Your CV
3) List of publications
4) Sample of research or publication
5) 2-page research plan for the postdoctoral researcher period
Please submit all the material in English through the eRecruitment system (link ’Apply for this job’) below, by July 31st 2015. The application materials will not be returned.
Salary and place of work
The salary is determined based on experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University. For the postdoctoral researcher, the expected starting salary is around 3500 €/month. The position is located in Helsinki metropolitan area.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For additional information, please contact
Or in recruitment process related questions
The advertisement, and instructions on how to apply can be found following this link: http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/jobs/view/513/